Working at Home
To work on web programming at home, we recommend that you install the following software:
a web browser that is friendly to web development, such as:
a text editor for typing your programs, such as:
- TextPad text editor (Windows), or ...
- Smultron text editor (Mac)
- (we explicitly discourage/forbid WYSIWYG editors that write out the HTML/CSS code for you, such as DreamWeaver or FrontPage.)
an SFTP file transfer program for uploading your programs to our Webster server, such as:
- SSH Tectia or WinSCP (Windows)
To download SSH Tectia, click the Tectia link, and then on the page that appears, click the link "Download the software from our server. You must acknowledge agreement to the Export Regulations before you download." Then a "Software Export Regulations" page appears and you have to click "I Agree" to continue. Now you'll be given the link to download and install the program. If you're having trouble, here is a direct link that may allow you to download it.
- Secure Fetch or Fugu (Mac)
We probably won't provide detailed instructions for installing these programs. If you get stuck, please contact your TA and/or Marty for help.
last updated Mar 18 2009