This is quite easy with NT. First create
a subdirectory in their home dir. Then
use the properties option on the file menu
in NT Explorer and select security. Add
the user names for whoever they wish to
share with and choose the appropriate permissions.
An alternative is for you to send me the members
of each group and we set up a shared dir in the
project area. This would require a day to
complete on our end. Students would be responsible
for moving a copy to their home dir if they
want to keep the files after the end of quarter
as we would be deleting the project area after
Yes, students can do it on their own.
1) Find the directory that your project will be in. Right click on the
directory and select "Properties".
2) Select the "Security" tab, then click the "Permissions" button.
3) Once the "Directory Permissions" window is open, click the "Add"
button. Once the "Add Users and Groups" windows appears, click the
"Show Users" button.
4) Select the user whom you wish to give access privileges. Hit "OK" to
return to the "Directory Permissions" screen.
5) Highlight the user you have just added. Under the "Type of Access:"
menu, use the "Special Directory Access..." and "Special File Access..."
commands to customize the access privileges.
6) When opening the project in Synario with only the single folder
accessible, the full path of the project's directory must be typed in,
or else the message "You do not have permission to open this directory"
That's it! If you think it's appropriate, please forward this to the
class mailing list.
-Justin and Carl