CSE 490ab: Undergraduate Computers, Ethics, and Society Seminar
Seminar time: Fridays 3:30-4:20, EEB1 045
Seminar Schedule for Winter 2000
- Jan 7: Emer Dooley,
UW Business School, "The Microsoft Antitrust Case"
- Jan 14: professional ethics (overview and organizing for student
presentations for following weeks).
- Ronald Anderson, Deborah Johnson, Donald Gotterbard, and Judith
Perrolle, "Using the New ACM Code of Ethics in Decision Making", CACM Feb
- Eric Weiss, "Self Assessment Procedure XXII (Ethics)", CACM Nov 1990.
- John Ladd, "The Quest for a Code of Professional Ethics: An
Intellectual and Moral Confusion"
- Richard Rosenberg, "Beyond the Code of Ethics: The Responsibility
of Professional Societies", Ethics and Social Impact,
ACM Policy '98
- Jan 21: professional ethics (student presentations).
We will talk about "Scenario II.5 (Computer Scientist accepting a grant on a
possibly unachievable program)" from the Self Assessment Procedure.
- Jan 28: professional ethics (issues regarding how the UW ACM chapter
interacts with companies)
- Feb 4:
Simson Garfinkle, talking about his new book Database
Nation: The DEATH of PRIVACY in the 21st CENTURY. Exploring issues of
privacy, autonomy, identity, and property in the next century.
- Feb 11: Gerald Barnett, UW Office of Technology Transfer, "Software
Patents and Copyright"
- Feb 18: Paulynn Schaff, FBI
- Feb 25: Steve Albertson, One
Northwest (Online Neworking for the Environment)
- March 3: Stuart Sutton, UW
School of Library and Information Science
- March 10: wrapup (Alan Borning)