Papers for CSE 590H
See the bibliography of a superset of the
readings we'll be covering in the class.
Note: you are expected to read and attempt to understand all of
the papers we assign. We aren't going to give exams or quizzes in
this class, but we'd like you to come to class prepared to discuss the
papers we have read.
Copies of all papers are available in 4th floor filing cabinet in Sieg
Hall; books are on reserve in the Engineering Library.
- (3/28) Norman, Donald. Design of Everyday Things. (Chapter 1 only)
- (3/28) Myers, Brad. Why are User Interfaces Hard to Design and
- (3/30) Ehn, Pelle. Ch 1 Work-oriented Design of Computer Artifacts.
- (4/4) Brad Myers, "State of the Art in User Interface
Software Tools", Tech Report CMU-CS-92-114, Feb 92.
- (4/6) Blomberg. Ethnographic Field Methods and their Relation
to Design. Participatory Design: Principles
and Practices. L. Erlbaum Associates. 1993.
- (4/11) Joan Greenbaum and Morten Kyng. "Introduction: Situated
Design" (Chapter 1), in Design at Work, Joan Greenbaum and Morten
- (4/18) Jenny Preece. Part II of Human Computer
Interaction. (Concentrate on Chapters 4-6.)
- (4/25) George Lakoff and Mark Johnson. Ch 1-6.
Metaphors We Live By. The University of Chicago Press, 1980.
- (4/25) Erikson, Thomas D. "Working with Interface Metaphors."
in The Art of Human-Computer Interaction, Brenda Laurel, ed.
- (4/25) Smith, Randall B. "Experiences with the Alternate Reality
Kit: An Example of the Tension betwen Literalism and Magic."
- (5/11) Jones, W.T. Ch 11
The Twentieth Century to Wittgenstein and Sartre
- (5/11) Wittgenstein, Ludwig. pp 2-13 Philosophical
- (5/11) Ehn, Pelle. Ch 4 Work-oriented Design of Computer
- (5/18) Kay, Alan. The Early History of Smalltalk History of
Programming Languages II. 1993.
- (5/18) Johnson, Roberts, Verplank, Smith, Irby, Beard, Mackey.
The Xerox Star: A Retrospective. Readings In Human-Computer
Interaction: Toward the Year 2000.
- (5/25) Oren Etzioni and Dan Weld. A Softbot-Based Interface to
the Internet. CACM, Vol 37 No 7 (July 1994), pages 72-76.
- (5/30) S. Mukherjea, J. Foley, and S. Hudson. Visualizing
Complex Hypermedia Networks through Multiple Hierarchical Views.
CHI'95, pages 331-337.
- (5/30) John Lamping, Ramana Rao, and Peter Pirolli. A
Focus+Context Technique Based on Hyperbolic Geometry for Visualizing Large
Hierarchies. CHI'95, pages 401-408.
- (5/30) U. Shardanand and P Maes. Social Information Filtering:
Algorithms for Automating "Word of Mouth." CHI'95, pages 210-217.
- (5/30) D. Maltz and K Ehrlich. Pointing the Way: Active
Collaborative Filtering. CHI'95, pages 202-209.
- (3/30) Ehn, Pelle. Ch 6 Work-oriented Design of Computer Artifacts.
- (4/4) Tyson Henry et al, "A Nose Gesture Interface Device:
Extending Virtual Realities," UIST 91, p 65-68.
- (4/4) Brad Myers and Mary Beth Rosson, "Survey on User
Interface Programming", CHI 92, p 195-202.
- (4/11) Pelle Ehn. "Scandanavian Design: On Participation and
Skill", in Adler and Winograd, eds. Usability: Turning Technologies
- (4/18) Card, Moran and Newell. Chapter 2 from "The Psychology of
Human Computer Interaction", 1983. (If you don't read the whole thing,
read the first couple of pages at least.)