In the popular press...
- Oren Etzioni quoted extensively on IBM's Watson and the implications for AI:
- Oren Etzioni discusses TextRunner in Communications of the ACM article
- TextRunner featured in Technology Review article
- Oren Etzioni Q & A with Puget Sound Business Journal article
- PanImages featured in Multilingual article
- Oren Etzioni featured in the Israeli periodical Globes article
- Oren Etzioni featured in MSNBC article
- PanImages featured in TechCrunch article
- Oren Etzioni featured in Columns Magazine article
- New York Times article on Web 3.0 highlights KnowItAll and Opine.
- Panlingual Image Search in the UW Daily article
- New York Times feature on Farecast
- Why I'm definitely not the next Bill Gates...according to Washington CEO Magazine
- Puget Sound Business Journal article on the Turing Center
- A "Rainmaker" in Seattle...not sure that's a compliment...
- The "GodFather" of Search... then, upgraded to the Sultan of Search by Seattle Business Monthly, aiming for Emperor of Everything, next.
- KUOW's Weekday on Google
- NBC Nightly News segment on Hamlet (to buy or not to buy, that is the question!), a data mining program that predicts price changes for airline tickets, or read the stories in Wired news, Seattle PI, or BusinessWeek
- My New York Times op-ed on fighting spam has generated some heated discussion, but please see the original essay, which is clearer. Finally, see a recent New York Times article about folks who are "fighting spam with spam".
- Or listen to the NPR Morning Edition segment which is shorter.
Some of my favorite musings:
I void warranties --- seen on a T-shirt at Burning Man 2008
I can resist everything...except temptation --- Oscar Wilde
Discipline is remembering what you want --- David Campbell
Before Enlightenment - chop wood, carry water;
after Enlightenment - chop wood, carry water.
--- Old Zen saying
The best way to predict the future is to invent it---Alan Kay
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet---William Gibson
Imagination is more important than knowledge --- Albert Einstein
Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers --- Voltaire
...engage the impossible... --- Erik Larson
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as
my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone. --- Bjarne Stroustrup
I'm busier than a one-legged cowboy in an ass-kickin' contest --- ???
The time to relax is when you don't have time for it. --- Sydney J. Harris
Why tweet when you can SPAM? --- yours truly, in the style of Zippy the Pinhead
I've been having a mid-life crisis for a long time. So long, in fact, that my mid-life crisis is having a mid-life crisis. --- yours truly
I used to have three theories about how to raise kids; now I have three kids and no theories! --- my mom
Your children are not your children,
They come through you but are not from you...
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
--- Selected lines from The Prophet
To seize the day,
find the sunset in the sunset
the laughter in the child
and the child within yourself.
--- yours truly
If God existed, He would have certainly not permitted that human beings be thrown alive into furnaces, and the heads of little toddlers be smashed with the butt of guns or be shoved into sacks and gassed to death. --- Rutka Laskier, 1943 (the "Polish Anne Frank")
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive
where we started and know the place for the first time.
Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one arena I believed I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realised, and I was still alive…and so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
---J. K. Rowling, Harvard commencement 2008
My father has published a thoughtful treatise on a Muscular, Moral Foreign Policy.
My mother has published several wonderful love stories about women in the bible.
My brother Michael died of sudden heart failure on August 24th, 2006; he is survived by his wife, son, and daughter.
I went to China in June, 2004 with my brother Ethan, and this is as close as I got to the Great Wall. I did get close to a Baby Panda, and learned something about Chinese People. I also visited the Forbidden City, which was a bit disappointing. In August 2008, I participated in Burning Man---my Burn pictures & other personal information is available on Facebook.
Phone: (206) 685-3035
Fax: (206) 543-2969
University of Washington
Computer Science & Engineering
Seattle, WA 98195-2350