UW CSE is committed to expanding its global leadership in computer science and computer engineering research by engaging the best and brightest faculty and students and creating a supportive environment in which to pursue the next great advances - whether at the core of the field, or in multi-disciplinary initiatives that address humankind’s greatest challenges through the transformative power of computing.
Student success is our priority and is the foundation on which the reputations of CSE and its faculty members are built. Our undergraduate students - the majority of whom participate in faculty-supervised research - power the leading companies and populate the leading graduate programs. Our graduate program alums are leaders in industry and academia. Over the years our faculty members have been nationally and internationally recognized for excellence - for example:
- Forty-four National Science Foundation CAREER Awards or Presidential/NSF Young Investigator Awards; seven NSF Presidential Faculty Fellow or Presidential Early Career (PECASE) Awards; and nine Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Awards.
- Twenty-four Sloan Research Fellowships; eight Fulbright Awards; three Packard Fellowships; three Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowships; two Guggenheim Awards; and two MacArthur Fellows.
- Three Fellows of the National Academy of Engineering; two Fellows of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences; two Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; and 38 Fellows of ACM, IEEE, IAPR, and AAAI.
We are a major player in most of the principal areas of computer science and computer engineering. Particular strengths include:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Computational & Synthetic Biology
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Graphics, Vision, Animation, and Game Science
- Computing for Development
- Data Management
- Human Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Security and Privacy
- Sensor Systems
- Systems and Networking
- Theory of Computation
- Ubiquitous Computing
Learn about our work, and join our community!