Whats the future of IPv6?
IPv6 will silently become part of all major OSes & Routers
- Hosts implementations: Apple, *BSD*, Digital, IBM, Linux, Novell, Microsoft, SCO, SGI, and Sun.
- Routers implementations: 3Com, Bay Networks, Cisco, Digital, Nokia, and Telebit
Potential to reduce cost of ownership
- get auto configuration of IP addresses right
Potential to reduce backbone route table size
- improved route aggregation
- memory is getting cheaper/larger, but not faster at the same rate
Smooth transition is key factor in success of IPv6 !!!