You may apply to the BS/MS program at different points in your undergraduate studies. Most students apply at the end of their junior years after completing all required 300-level CSE courses. A small number apply later, while finishing senior-level requirements. However, all students must begin graduate coursework within one year of receiving their bachelor's degrees. If you are unsure when to apply, please contact a CSE advisor.
The following are the minimum requirements for applying to the Allen School's Combined Bachelor's/Master's program:
- You are an Allen School CS or CE undergraduate major.
- You have junior standing or beyond (90 or more credits).
- Your GPA is 3.0 or higher.
- You have completed all required 300-level CSE courses.
Competitive applicants will exceed these minimums, typically showing higher grades, CSE coursework beyond the minimum required, and strong written application materials.
Application review occurs at the end of spring quarter. Students who will finish all required 300-level courses by that time may apply.
- Mid-May: Application opens
- Early June: Application closes
- Mid-June: Faculty recommenders submit feedback; BS/MS Admissions Committee reviews applications
- Late June: Decisions sent
Your application requires the following components:
- Statement of Purpose. Your statement should be no longer than one page. Topics to address include: (1) Why are you interested in pursuing a combined BS/MS? (2) What specific aspects of the program interest you, such as areas of study? (3) What makes you a good candidate for this program?
- References. List 2-3 CSE faculty members or affiliate faculty as references. You must have at least 2 references who can speak to your classwork and/or research abilities. A third reference is strongly encouraged, and could either be a faculty member for whom you were a TA or another reference who knows you from classwork or research. It is courteous to ask faculty members before listing them as references.
- Transcripts: Upload a copy of your UW unofficial transcript (use the "printer-friendly" version from MyUW).
- Resume: You have the option to upload a current resume.
- MyCSE: Confirm that your MyCSE profile is up-to-date, including scholarships, co-ops/internships, and research.
There is no fee for students completing the initial CSE BS/MS application. Students admitted to the BS/MS program must complete the UW Grad School application and pay an application fee as well as an enrollment fee once they become a graduate student (due before tuition).
How To Apply
Apply now! Applications due June 5th 8th (revised date): https://norfolk.cs.washington.edu/csem_app
2017 Application schedule:
May 19 – June 5th 8th (revised date): Application Open
June 5th 8th (revised date): Application Deadline
Decisions emailed late June
Next steps: After Admittance
1. Respond to Catalyst survey to accept the offer, or email advisors to decline the offer.
2. Go to the Graduate School webpage to apply to the CSEM - 5th year masters program. Apply for the quarter you will become a graduate student - usually the quarter after you finish your undergraduate degree.
3. Make sure you complete the process for enrolling in the UW Graduate School or you won't be allowed to register.