You may apply to the BS/MS program at different points in your undergraduate studies. Most students apply at the end of their junior years after completing all required 300-level CSE courses, or when they have roughly one year left in their undergraduate studies. A small number apply later, while finishing senior-level requirements. However, all students must begin graduate coursework within one year of receiving their bachelor's degrees. If you are unsure when to apply, please contact a CSE adviser.
The following are the minimum requirements for applying to the Allen School's Combined Bachelor's/Master's program:
- You are a current Allen School CS or CE undergraduate major. Students who have already graduated are ineligible to apply.
- You have junior standing or beyond (90 or more credits).
- Your GPA is 3.0 or higher.
- You have completed all required 300-level CSE courses (311, 312, 332, 351 are the most important. If you are missing a course you still may be eligible to apply and can contact BS/MS advising to understand your options.)
Competitive applicants will exceed these minimums, typically showing higher grades, CSE coursework beyond the minimum required, and strong written application materials.
The 2023 BS/MS application will open May 9th and close June 9th.
A couple of notes about the application:
- We will contact your faculty recommenders after the application closes. You should talk to them in advance, but do not need to coordinate the actual recommendation process.
- You may not find a person you want to use as a reference in the drop down menu. If that is the case, let us know and we can solicit the recommendation from them directly.
2023 Application Timeline
- May: Application opens May 9th
- June: Application closes June 9th
- Mid-late June through Mid July: Faculty recommenders submit feedback; BS/MS Admissions Committee reviews applications
- Mid-late July: Decisions sent
Your application requires the following components:
- Statement of Purpose. Recommended length: 750-1000 words. Topics to address include: (1) Why are you interested in pursuing a combined BS/MS? (2) What specific aspects of the program interest you, such as areas of study? (3) What makes you a good candidate for this program?
- References. List 2 faculty members as references. You must have 2 references who can speak to your classwork and/or research abilities (or, if specifically applying to teach, teaching abilities). It is courteous to ask faculty members before listing them as references. One recommender must be from the Allen School.
- Transcripts: Upload a copy of your UW unofficial transcript (use the "printer-friendly" version from MyUW).
- Resume: You have the option to upload a current resume.
- MyCSE: Confirm that your MyCSE profile is up-to-date, including scholarships, co-ops/internships, and research.
There is no fee for students completing the initial CSE BS/MS application. Students admitted to the BS/MS program must complete the UW Grad School application and pay an application fee as well as an enrollment fee once they become a graduate student (due before tuition).