CSE 601 offers students the opportunity to explore and develop their careers through professional practice. The structured plan of education impacts student work-readiness through a number of professional development skill-building activities. Students will provide a brief final report on their experiences. After completing the course, graduate students earn credit towards their degree with CSE 601 listed on their permanent transcript.
CSE 601 is open to:
- Domestic graduate students with a part-time or full-time internship
- International graduate students with a full-time internship during the summer
- International graduate students with a part-time internship during the regular academic year (fall, winter, or spring quarter)
- International students with a full-time internship during the regular academic year (fall, winter, spring), or multiple full-time internships in consecutive quarters should sign up for ENGR 601, through the College of Engineering’s Internship Program.
CSE 601 To Do List
- Accept an official offer for a qualified internship.
- Apply using the Handshake Experiences platform.
- International students are also required to apply for CPT.
Dates and Deadlines
Internship dates typically need to fall within the dates of the academic quarter. Upon accepting a full-time internship offer, students must also decline any existing offers of department funding (e.g. RA or TA) for that quarter by notifying the department payroll manager no later than two weeks before the start of the quarter.
Students participating in a part-time internship can often keep their department funding intact.
Students are required to complete and submit a final report through Canvas, by the last day of instruction for the quarter in which they are registered for CSE 601. See the CSE 601 syllabus for details.
CSE 601 Full-time vs. Part-time
CSE 601 vs. ENGR 601
Register for CSE 601 if…
- You are a domestic student with a full-time or part-time internship (any quarter)
- You are an international student with a full-time or part-time internship during summer quarter
- You are an international student with a part-time internship (any quarter)
Register for ENGR 601 if…
- You are an international student with a full-time internship during the regular academic year (autumn, winter, spring)
The College of Engineering has their own process for registering for ENGR 601 internship credit. For more information, please see their website.
CSE 601 Sample Salary Data
All F-1 or J-1 Visa students must maintain full-time student status during non-vacation quarters. Students working full or part-time during the summer will register for CSE 601 for the following fall quarter. Students working part-time during the academic year will register for 1 credit of CSE 601 and at least 9 additional credits (max 17), to maintain full-time status.
See the last page of the CSE 601 syllabus for more details.
F-1 Visa students will need to complete the online ISS CPT Application, in addition to the online CSE credit request form.
Steps to follow to receive CPT work authorization:
- Apply for the Handshake Experiences 601 Internship.
- Complete the online ISS CPT Application.
-In the “Department Adviser’s Name” field, type “Elise Dorough”
-In the “Department Adviser’s Email Address” field, type “firstname.lastname@example.org”. You MUST use the @uw email address; @cs.uw email addresses no longer work.
- Processing time after submitting the CPT form and letter to the ISS office can take up to 7-10 business days.
- ISS will send you an email when your updated I-20 with CPT authorization is ready to be picked up.
- Provide this authorization to your internship employer; they will keep a copy and return the original to you.
- In order to maintain your immigration status, you are required to register for CSE 601 credits, complete all program requirements, and earn credit.
J-1 Visa students are not required to register for CPT credit in order to do an internship. Students who wish to earn credit for their internship must complete the ISS Academic Training Authorization, in addition to the online CSE credit request form.
Contact Elle Brown if you plan on applying for Academic Training Authorization.
Rules of Conduct
Students are expected to adhere to the CSE Recruiting Policy during their job search and period of employment.
Contact Elle Brown.