Thank you for your interest in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering! This page is for prospective transfer students who are interested in majoring in Computer Science or Computer Engineering at UW Seattle.
The Allen School offers an information session for prospective transfers on the second Thursday of every month. Information sessions are held from 3:30PM - 4:30PM in SIG 134. Please see our academic advising calendar for more details.
Admission to the Allen School is competitive. Transfer students who are admitted to the Allen School typically will have earned nearly perfect grades in their prerequisites courses and have strong grades overall. Priority is given to students who are coming directly from a Washington State community or technical college with about two years of coursework (90 quarter credits) and who plan to finish their prerequisites by the time they enter UW (if admitted).
The Application Process
Transfer students apply to the University of Washington and to our major through the Office of Admissions. A separate application to the Paul G. Allen School is not required to apply as a transfer student. Transfer students are considered for Computer Science or Computer Engineering if they:
- Apply to UW for Fall or Spring* quarter. Transfer application deadlines are 5 to 7 months before the quarter of admission, so make sure to read the UW admissions information carefully. *International students can apply for Fall quarter admission only.
- List Computer Science or Computer Engineering as their first choice major on their UW transfer application.
- Plan to have all of their prerequisites done by the time they enter UW (if admitted)*.
Computer Science Prerequisites
Computer Engineering Prerequisites
*Successful transfer students typically have the equivalent of CSE 142 & CSE 143 done and graded by the time they apply.
Determining Course Equivalencies
If you are attending a Washington State community or technical college, you can also use our online Equivalency Guide to determine the transferability of your coursework. If your coursework is from another college or university, you can use our online UW course catalog to determine which courses at your institution are most closely related to our prerequisites at UW. It is important to note, though, that the UW is unable to make evaluations for transfer credit until after an applicant has been admitted.
What if I Am Not Admitted to the Allen School?
Transfer students who are admitted to UW as pre-majors or to another major will need to apply to our program as a current UW student. These students are not guaranteed a spot in our program and admission is competitive. Additionally, coming to UW as a pre-major transfer student often extends the amount of time until a student can graduate. For this reason, we highly recommend that students who are not admitted directly to our program plan for another major or consider similar programs at other institutions.
Some students intending to study Computer Science or Computer Engineering may not ultimately gain admission to the Allen School, while others may discover another major that is a better for their strategies and goals. Students in other majors enjoy access to our non-majors courses, can serve as Allen School teaching assistants, and can participate in Allen School research.
Below is a sampling of other majors on the UW Seattle campus you may want to explore, based on your interest in our program. Please note that most of these majors are also competitive so it is important to reach out to them and discuss their application procedures.
- Applied & Computational Mathematical Sciences
- Electrical Engineering (particularly the embedded systems track)
- Geography (particularly the geographic information systems track)
- Human Centered Design & Engineering
Other Programs in Washington State
There are similar programs in the area which take transfer students, and we highly recommend that you apply to multiple programs if you're sure you want to study Computer Science or Computer Engineering. You should consider:
- University of Washington Bothell
- University of Washington Tacoma
- Bellevue College - Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Central Washington University
- Eastern Washington University
- Evergreen State College
- Gonzaga University
- North Seattle College - Applied Bachelor’s in Application Development
- Pacific Lutheran University
- Saint Martin’s University
- Seattle Pacific University
- Seattle University
- University of Puget Sound
- Walla Walla University
- Washington State University
- Washington State University @ TriCities
- Washington State University @ Vancouver
- Western Washington University
- Whitman College
- Whitworth University
- Complete list of all WA State Colleges and Universities
Please e-mail the Allen School advisers at email@example.com. We are happy to answer your questions!