Who Should Petition?
Non-major, pre-major, and non-matriculated students must petition to be considered for a spot in 300-level and 400-level CSE majors-only courses.
Petition Criteria & Process
Students who are not majors in the Computer Science or Computer Engineering programs at UW Seattle who wish to take a 300 or 400-level majors-only course may fill out a petition. However, keep in mind that it is not our goal to fill majors-only courses to their maximum capacity. Rather, our primary concern is maintaining the quality of our program for our current majors. They benefit from smaller class sizes, where they can get closer attention from instructors and teaching assistants, engage in better in-class discussions, and the like. So the desired class size is often substantially below the maximum possible class size.
- If you are interested in petitioning and are unclear on if this process is right for you, please contact an adviser.
- Permission to take a majors-only course does not grant or imply admission to the Department now or at any future time.
- Students cannot use these courses towards a degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering unless they are admitted to the Department.
- Students who have not taken a majors-only course will have priority over students who have.
- Students who are pre-majors and have prerequisites and other requirements left to take (e.g. physics, calculus, chemistry) will not have priority for a majors-only course.
- Non-matriculated students will only get their non-matriculated registration forms signed after we have approved their petition.
- Petitioning students must attend the course they are petitioning for starting the first day of the quarter. If you do not attend class, your petition can be denied.
The online petition to request a space in a 300 or 400-level CSE major's course generally opens up at end of the regular registration period for each quarter and is due during the week prior to the first day of class. The petition is open for roughly one month before the start of the quarter.
The petition for winter quarter 2019 is now open here. The petition will close at 10am on December 20th and we aim to get back to students no later than January 3rd.
After you have filled out the petition, if you are not a current UW student you must turn in a copy of your unofficial transcripts via an email attachment to ugrad-advisor[at]cs[dot]washington[dot]edu to complete the process. If you are also trying to register as a non-matriculated student, contact and adviser for help with the required forms from the UW Non-Degree Enrollment office.
We do not have capacity at this time to consider students from self-sustaining majors. Those students are not allowed to petition for CSE courses. Please contact advising if you are unclear on if this restriction applies to you.