Space is extremely limited in our majors-only classes and we often do not have space for students outside of the Allen School. Highly qualified non-majors can request space in these classes on a quarterly basis through our non-major enrollment request form (formerly referred to as a "petition"). Unfortunately, most requests cannot be accommodated due to capacity constraints.
Non-Major Enrollment Request Form
Criteria & Process
A student may be eligible for a majors-only course if:
- There is sufficient course staff and space available in the classroom
- The student is qualified for the course and has taken the prerequisites or appropriate alternatives
- There is no suitable non-major alternative to the course
- The student clearly articulates why learning the course material will directly benefit them
- The student is able to attend the first day of school and subsequent all classes (at this time we do not offer remote options for students)
Priority is typically given to students who have not previously taken a majors-only course, and with very few exceptions, students will get at most one course per quarter and at most two courses ever.
The enrollment request form for the upcoming quarters will be available on this page as follows:
Spring quarter 2020:
Request to take a 300 level class here
Request to take a 400 level class here
Deadline: March 1, 10am PST
Information for Non-Matriculated Students
After you have submitted your non-major request form, if you are not a current UW student you must turn in a copy of your unofficial transcripts via an email attachment to ugrad-advisor[at]cs[dot]washington[dot]edu to complete the process. If you are also trying to register as a non-matriculated student, please see information from the UW Non-Degree Enrollment office. Non-matriculated students will only get their non-matriculated registration forms signed after we have approved their enrollment request.