It's never too late or too early to start looking for an internship. Many CSE students use the CSE Ugradjobs blog and the College of Engineering's Engineering Internship Program to find full-time, paid positions that last three to nine months. You can also find a variety of jobs and internships through the Career Center's Handshake database. Also, remember to attend the Allen School's Industry Affiliates Career Fairs in autumn and winter to meet recruiters from established and startup companies.

For detailed resources and information on how to obtain an internship, please see our career pages.

CSE 301: Internship Credit

CSE 301 offers students the opportunity to explore and develop their careers through professional practice. The structured plan of education impacts student work-readiness through a number of professional development skill-building activities. To earn credit, students will complete a few assigments, including submitting a brief final report on their experiences, an updated resume, and a feedback survey taken by the student and their on-site manager. After completing the course, undergraduate students earn credit towards their degree with CSE 301 listed on their permanent transcript.

CSE 301 is open to:

  • All undergraduate students with a part-time internship or a full-time internship during the summer.
  • Domestic undergraduate students with a part-time or full-time internship during the academic year (fall, winter, or spring quarter). 
  • International undergraduate students with a part-time internship during the academic year (fall, winter, spring)
    • International students with a full-time internship during the academic year (fall, winter, spring), or multiple full-time internships in consecutive quarters should sign up for ENGR 321, through the College of Engineering’s Internship Program.

CSE 301 To-Do List

  1. Accept an official offer for a qualified internship.
  2. Apply for credit by filling out the CSE 301 Credit Request Form. You must log in with your CSE credentials to properly submit this form.
  3. Register with the emailed add code. If you sign up for credit for a future quarter, you will receive an add code when registration for that quarter opens.
  4. Complete and submit the required assignments (outlined on the CSE 301 syllabus).

Dates and Deadlines

Internship dates typically need to fall within the dates of the academic quarter, regardless of whether or not you are registered for that quarter. You can use the UW Academic Calendar to find these dates. It is OK to include quarter breaks as part of your internship time, but finals week is part of the previous academic quarter.

Counting Credit

Your first 2 credits of CSE 301 count toward CSE senior elective credit. After that, credits will count toward general electives.


Students are required to complete and submit all assignments through Canvas by the last day of instruction for the quarter in which they are registered for CSE 301. See the CSE 301 syllabus for details.

CSE 301 Full-time vs. Part-time

 CSE 301 credit chart

CSE 301 vs. ENGR 321

Register for CSE 301 if…

  1. You will be doing a part-time internship
  2. You will be doing a full-time internship during the summer
  3. You are a domestic student who will be doing a full-time internship during the regular academic year (autumn, winter, spring)

Register for ENGR 321 if…

  1. You are an international student who will be doing a full-time internship during the regular academic year (autumn, winter, spring)
  2. You are an international student who will be doing 2 full-time internships in consecutive quarters.

The College of Engineering has their own process for registering for ENGR 321 internship credit. For more information, please see their website.

International Students

All F-1 Visa students must maintain full-time student status during non-vacation quarters. Students working full or part-time during the summer will register for 2 credits of CSE 301 for the following fall quarter.  Students working part-time during the academic year will register for 1 credit of CSE 301 and at least 11 additional credits (max 17), to maintain full-time status.

See the last page of the CSE 301 syllabus for more details.

F-1 Visa students will need to complete the online ISS CPT Application, in addition to the online CSE credit request form.

Steps to follow to receive CPT work authorization:

  1. Complete the online CSE 301 Credit Request Form.
  2. Complete the online ISS CPT Application.
    -In the “Department Adviser’s Name” field, type “Jenifer Hiigli”
    -In the “Department Adviser’s Email Address” field, type “”. You MUST use the @uw email address; @cs.uw email addresses no longer work. 
  3. Processing time after submitting the CPT form and letter to the ISS office can take up to 7-10 business days.
  4. ISS will send you an email when your updated I-20 with CPT authorization is ready to be picked up.
  5. Provide this authorization to your internship employer; they will keep a copy and return the original to you.
  6. In order to maintain your immigration status, you are required to register for CSE 301 credits, complete all program requirements, and earn credit.

Rules of Conduct

Students are expected to adhere to the CSE Recruiting Policy during their job search and period of employment.