Space is extremely limited in our majors-only classes and we often do not have space for students outside of the Allen School. Highly qualified non-majors can request space in these classes on a quarterly basis through our non-major enrollment request form (formerly referred to as a "petition"). Unfortunately, most requests cannot be accommodated due to capacity constraints.

Non-Major Enrollment Request Form

Criteria & Process

A student may be eligible for a majors-only course if:

    1. There is sufficient course staff available
    2. The student is qualified for the course and has taken the prerequisites or appropriate alternatives
    3. There is no suitable non-major alternative to the course available
    4. The student clearly articulates why learning the course material will directly benefit them
    5. The student is able to attend the first day of school (virtually) and all subsequent classes

The enrollment request form for the upcoming quarters will be available on this page as follows:

Spring quarter 2021: The priority deadline for spring quarter non-major enrollment has passed. Students will be notified between March 1 and 24. Some space may still be available in some classes, please email for inquiries.

Summer quarter 2021: TBD

Information for Non-Matriculated Students

After you have submitted your non-major request form, if you are not a current UW student you must turn in a copy of your unofficial transcripts via an email attachment to ugrad-advisor[at]cs[dot]washington[dot]edu to complete the process. If you are also trying to register as a non-matriculated student, please see information from the UW Non-Degree Enrollment office. Non-matriculated students will only get their non-matriculated registration forms signed after we have approved their enrollment request.