I have the great honor of having been appointed the new Director of the UW eScience Institute!
I am a member of the Database, Data Science, and AstroDB groups at UW. I'm also the director of the University of Washington eScience Institute, the director of the IGERT PhD Program in Big Data and Data Science, and the co-founder of the Northwest Database Society (NWDS).
Recent events of interest:
- Recipient of SIGMOD's Test of Time Award (2017)!
- Check out my new class on Big Data Management Systems: http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse599c/17sp/
- Recipient of inaugural VLDB Women in Database Research Award (2016),
- PipeGen source code is now available online.
- PC Co-chair for CIDR 2017.
- The Myria big data system is now easier than ever to deploy on Amazon EC2. You can also test our demo deployment on Amazon.
- PSLAManager source code is now available online.
- Keynote talk at VLDB 2015.
My profile on Google Scholar.
Magdalena Balazinska is a Professor in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington and the Director of the University of Washington eScience Institute. She's also the director of the IGERT PhD Program in Big Data and Data Science and the director of the associated Advanced Data Science PhD Option. Magdalena's research interests are in the field of database management systems. Her current research focuses on data management for data science, big data systems, and cloud computing. Magdalena holds a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2006). She is a Microsoft Research New Faculty Fellow (2007), received the inaugural VLDB Women in Database Research Award (2016), an ACM SIGMOD Test-ofTime Award (2017), an NSF CAREER Award (2009), a 10-year most influential paper award (2010), a Google Research Award (2011), an HP Labs Research Innovation Award (2009 and 2010), a Rogel Faculty Support Award (2006), a Microsoft Research Graduate Fellowship (2003-2005), and multiple best-paper awards.
Phone: (206) 616-1069
Fax: (206) 543-2969
Magdalena Balazinska, Associate Professor
University of Washington
Computer Science & Engineering
Seattle, WA 98195-2350