I have the great honor of having been selected as the first Jean Loup Baer Professor of Computer Science and Engineering (2015).
I am a member of the database, Data Science, and AstroDB groups at UW. I'm also a Senior Data Science Fellow of the University of Washington eScience Institute, the director of the IGERT PhD Program in Big Data and Data Science, and the co-founder of the Northwest Database Society (NWDS).
Recent events of interest:
- Check out my new class on Big Data Management Systems: http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse599c/17sp/
- Recipient of inaugural VLDB Women in Database Research Award (2016),
- PipeGen source code is now available online.
- PC Co-chair for CIDR 2017
- The Myria big data system is now easier than ever to deploy on Amazon EC2. You can also test our demo deployment on Amazon.
- PSLAManager source code is now available online.
- Keynote talk at VLDB 2015.
My profile on Google Scholar.
Magdalena Balazinska is the Jean Loup Baer Associate Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington. She's the director of the IGERT PhD Program in Big Data and Data Science and the director of the associated Advanced Data Science PhD Option. She's also a Senior Data Science Fellow of the University of Washington eScience Institute. Magdalena's research interests are in the field of database management systems. Her current research focuses on data management for data science, big data systems, and cloud computing. Magdalena holds a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2006). She is a Microsoft Research New Faculty Fellow (2007), received the inaugural VLDB Women in Database Research Award (2016), an NSF CAREER Award (2009), a 10-year most influential paper award (2010), a Google Research Award (2011), an HP Labs Research Innovation Award (2009 and 2010), a Rogel Faculty Support Award (2006), a Microsoft Research Graduate Fellowship (2003-2005), and multiple best-paper awards.
Phone: (206) 616-1069
Fax: (206) 543-2969
Magdalena Balazinska, Associate Professor
University of Washington
Computer Science & Engineering
Seattle, WA 98195-2350