Welcome to the TA home page!
Student Teaching Assistants are an integral part of the learning and teaching experience at the Allen School. Each quarter (excluding summer), CSE hires approximately:
- 75+ undergraduate TAs dedicated to introductory programming courses.
- 200+ undergraduate TAs working on other CSE courses.
- 100+ graduate TAs who support all CSE courses.
If you are reading this page, you may be interested in applying for a graduate or undergraduate TA position or in finding out about resources available for your current TA position. The Graduate TA and Undergraduate TA menu items above provide information about application procedures, roles/responsibilities, and pay. Subsequent links (Administrative, Teaching, Technical, and Professional Development) direct you to resources that will help current TAs better perform their jobs.
Finally, take note of the Bob Bandes Award menu item. This award, established in 1984 in memory of Bob Bandes, a Computer Science graduate student who died in a skydiving accident the preceding year, recognizes exceptional performance by undergraduate and graduate students as CSE teaching assistants (lecturing, grading, consulting). It serves as both a memorial for Bob Bandes and as an acknowledgement of the outstanding contributions of our department's TAs.
Summer Quarter 2023 TA Application -- (all dates tentative and subject to change)
- April 17 -- Application Opens
- April 24, 5:00 PM (tentative) -- Priority Deadline: The TA application will remain open until all positions are filled however preliminary assignments will be chosen from students who sign-up by this date .
- April 24, 5:00 PM (tentative) -- Deadline for CSE grad students to withdraw TA application. After this date, any CSE PhD grad student with an active TA application will be assumed to be committed to accepting a TA assignment for summer quarter (unless additional time requested).
- April 24-27 -- Course instructors submit TA preferences.
- week of May 1 (tentative)-- Preliminary TA assignments posted.