The Security and Privacy Research Lab at UW CSE pursues high-impact, innovative, and exciting computer security research. Our current research interests include security and privacy for embedded and cyber-physical systems, Web security, mobile device security, security and software engineering, operating system security, network security, anonymity, censorship, human-computer interaction and security, security education, and many other topics. In fact, we think that almost all aspects of computer science have interesting security-related twists.
Security and privacy research at UW CSE is highly collaborative, both within our group and with other research groups in the department. We also engage with the broader campus community through the interdisciplinary Tech Policy Lab, a partnership between UW CSE, the School of Law, the Information School, and other units on campus.
Our faculty and students have received numerous awards for their research, and our work has helped to increase public awareness and to shape public policy on computer security and privacy issues.
- Unearthing trackers of the past: UW computer scientists reveal the history of third-party web tracking, 8/15/16
- UW computer scientists to make financial products better and more available for the poor, 1/12/16
- Life, enhanced: UW professors study legal, social complexities of an augmented reality future, 11/3/15
- Computer security tools for journalists lacking in a post-Snowden world, 7/22/15
- UW researchers hack a teleoperated surgical robot to reveal security flaws, 5/7/15
In the News
- You're Being Tracked (and Tracked and Tracked) on the Web, IEEE Spectrum, 8/23/16
- They really are watching you: web tracking surges with online ads, USA Today, 8/17/16
- Researchers track the trackers through 20 years of the archived web, TechCrunch, 8/15/16
- Clever Tool Shields Your Car From Hacks By Watching Its Internal Clocks, Wired, 7/14/16
- Your Future Self-Driving Car Will Be Way More Hackable, MIT Technology Review, 1/26/16
- Computer Security and Privacy: Benefits and Risks of the Internet of Things, Phys.Org, 10/23/15
- CyberWar Threat, NOVA, 10/14/15
- GM Took 5 Years To Fix A Full-Takeover Hack In Millions Of Onstar Cars, Wired, 9/10/15
- Hacks on the Highway, Washington Post, 7/22/15