The Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering
|(Lara Swimmer photos; click for more)||Ed LaCasse photos; click for more)|
Dedicated in October 2003, the Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering has taken University of Washington Computer Science & Engineering to new levels of impact and excellence!
UW Computer Science & Engineering
- Ranked among the top ten programs in the nation at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- UW awards include five Distinguished Teaching Awards, the Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award, the Excellence in Teaching Award (for graduate teaching assistants), the Outstanding Public Service Award, and the inaugural Brotman Award for Instructional Excellence (a departmental distinguished teaching award)
- Integrally linked to the future excellence of the University of Washington and to the Pacific Northwest's innovation economy
- The architecture of the Allen Center provides a warm and welcoming work environment for students, faculty, and staff engaged in computer science research and education. The Allen Center has become the model for new computer science buildings nationally as well as for other buildings on the UW campus.
- A people-centered building, with collaboration spaces, meeting rooms, and amenities, including a large atrium with 6-story high skylight and a cafe. The atrium and its walkways connect the Allen Center to the Electrical Engineering building and the EE department, whose main office also shares the atrium.
- The Allen Center provides significant research laboratory space to support new laboratory-intensive research inititives and interdisciplinary efforts
- Designed by LMN Architects. General contractor: M.A. Mortenson Company. 160,000 sq feet (gross), 85,000 sq feet (net). Groundbreaking took place in autumn 2001, occupancy in autumn 2003.
- Online "guided tour"
- Art in the Allen Center
The peopleAt the October 2003 dedication of the Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering, Paul Allen said it best:
- "I'm proud to have supported this beautiful and unique facility. But what really sets UW's computer science program apart are the people - the faculty and the students. The Allen Center is a wonderful home for the program, but at the end of the day it's the excitement, intelligence, and innovation of the men and women in this organization that make it what it is." - Paul G. Allen
Archival information from the construction and dedication of the Allen Center
- Commemorative booklet prepared for the Allen Center dedication (pdf)
- Dedication of the Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering, October 9 2003: Opening the Doors to Our Future!
- Special pre-dedication insert of Most Significant Bits (department newsletter) (pdf)
- Special Allen Center dedication issue of Most Significant Bits (department newsletter) (pdf)
- Leadership gifts from Paul G. Allen, Bill & Melinda Gates, and Microsoft Corporation
- Design and construction of the Allen Center (including architectural renderings and photos)
- Beautiful Sieg Hall -- "The Pride of UW"
- Project completion transparencies: pdf, html, ppt