The Lab's Mission StatementThe CS Laboratory coordinates the acquisition, maintenance and operation of all instructional and research computing facilities for the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering. We seek to enable all CSE students, staff and faculty to be more effective by providing accessible, highly-available, scalable and secure IT services. A constant goal is fostering and facilitating collaboration and creativity through technology.
Technical Staff OrganizationLab efforts are directed by Aaron Timss.
The CS Lab group is organized into four technical divisions:
- The Service Desk (aka "Support") - This group provides direct technical support for users of the School's computing facilities, and daily routine support of the computing facilities. If you need assistance, you can submit (and track) a
Support Request. You can also contact the Service Desk via email at support@cs, reach the help desk at 206-685-1224, drop by the student-staffed Helpdesk in CSE207, or reference the online Lab service catalog and useful links.
- Educational Technology - Direct technical support is provided to our massive Introductory Programming courses, "lab-intensive" CSE courses, K-12 outreach efforts, as well as online educational programs and resources. These include CSE's 14x series, CSE's hardware and digital design courses, CSE courses and lectures delivered online, and the CSE Professional Masters Program. Staff in this group work closely with faculty members directing these educational initiatives and supporting collaborative and scalable course tools and technologies.
- Core and Advanced Services Group - This group provides architectural design, engineering,
development, consulting and operational support for the infrastructure of the School's computing environment. These services include (but are not limited to) identity management, data center management, networking services, printing services, software and platform support and development, and specialized support of research facilities and technologies.
- Web and Data Services Group - This group provides architectural design, engineering,
development, consulting and operational support for School databases, custom web applications, the CSE web, and a host of research-specific database and web services.
- Hardware Services - This group provides hardware and related services within the School, including hardware maintenance, procurement, asset management and inventory tracking, and shipping/receiving.