History of CSE Cloud Accounts
Prior to June 2021, CSE was able to offer both unlimited Cloud storage for all Allen school members, and CSE Cloud Accounts for Allen School Alumni through "G Suite for Education".
What is Changing?
As of June 2021, Google announced dramatic changes to their global Education platform, changing from "G Suite for Education", which offered unlimited storage, to "Google Workspace for Education". Along with a name change, this new offering brought changes to technology, policy, licensing, and placed strict (finite) storage limitations on our Google domain.
Due to these changes we will no longer be able to provide cloud accounts for Allen School Alumni beyond June 2023 (Gmail, Drive and other services). We will be expiring and deleting accounts according to the timeline below.
Additional information about this significant change can be found on UW Google Changes Project Page
Alumni Cloud Accounts
We are unfortunately no longer able to support Cloud Accounts for Allen School Alumni. We are actively reaching out to Allen School Alumni to let them know about these impactful changes, as well as timelines for when access to CSE Cloud services will end.
We strongly urge you to review the timeline below, listing the date all associated account data will be permanently deleted and no longer recoverable.Records Retention
Be aware of your responsibility regarding UW data and adhering to records retention schedules (University General Records Retention Schedule). Records Management Services posted a helpful article on this topic (UW Google Changes related to Records Retention), which applies to any data you have created/stored in CSE as well.
Cloud Storage Quotas
To continue offering Cloud storage to all active Allen School members, we will be implementing storage quotas for all CSE Cloud Accounts. We have already connected with many folks regarding alternate data storage locations and plans. We will continue to update our Allen School community regarding changes to Cloud storage.
What is the Timeline?
Given the storage limitations, we have already been in contact with many Allen School members regarding these changes to ensure we're able to meet Google's storage deadline. We will continue to reach out to Allen School Alumni with a more specific timeline for account suspension and data deletion.
As of June 2023 we will no longer be providing Cloud accounts for graduating students.
Timeline for current Alumni:
- First half of 2023: Email communication will go out regarding account suspension.
- Before June 15, 2023: Accounts and their data will be suspended and no longer accessible. Data is still recoverable.
- Second half of 2023: Email communication will go out regarding account expiration and deletion.
- Before December 31, 2023: Accounts and their data will be expired, deleted, and data will no longer be recoverable.
Timeline for students graduating Spring 2023 and after:
Starting from the date of Graduation (e.g. 6/09/2023 for Spring 2023)
- One full Quarter after Graduation (e.g. after Summer Quarter ends): CSE Account Expires and access to CSE Cloud Account is suspended. Data is still recoverable.
- Two full Quarters after Graduation (e.g. after Fall Quarter ends): CSE Cloud Account data will be expired, deleted, and no longer recoverable.
What Do I Need to Do?
- Set up CSE Email Forwarding so you don't lose access to your "@cs" email address.
- Check Records Retention schedules to ensure any substantive records are not being permanently deleted. Review information and steps on the UW Google Changes related to Records Retention page.
- Migrate your CSE Google data. You can follow UW's Migrate from UW Google to Personal Google page, but complete the steps for your CSE Google account.
- Migrate your CSE Office 365 data. You can follow UW's Migrate from UW Office 365 to Personal Account page, but complete the steps for your CSE Office 365 account.
- Check our After Graduation Page for possible additional steps related to you and your data.
Current CSE students approaching graduation (within 1 academic year)
- Consider setting up mail forwarding one quarter before graduating.
- Check Records Retention (https://finance.uw.edu/recmgt/gs) for data that should be transferred or deleted.
- Review our After Graduation Page for additional steps related to you and your data.
Current CSE students
- Ensure you're storing your data in appropriate locations. See Undergraduate File Storage Options and CSE File Services (Access, Storage and Transfer) for more information.
- Plan for data migration if you are currently over the storage quota limits listed on the Undergraduate File Storage Options page.