I'm always interested in advising new students, whether on a one-time basis or continuing towards a degree. However, for the most part, time constraints dictate that I can only meet with students already enrolled in the Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington.
Prospective students should click here for more information.
- Gagan Bansal
- Jonathan Bragg (Co-advised with Mausam)
- Jim Chen
- Mandar Joshi (Co-advised with Luke Zettlemoyer)
- Sherry Wu (Co-advised with Jeff Heer
Graduated Ph.D. Students:
- Chris Lin The Intelligent Management of Crowd-Powered Machine Learning (Co-advised with Mausam) (2017) Microsoft (Redmond, WA)
- Lydia Chilton Adaptive Crowd Algorithms for Open-Ended Problems (Co-advised with James Landay)(2016) Columbia University (NYC, NY)
- Xiao LingEntity Analysis with Weak Supervision: Typing, Linking, and Attribute Extraction (2015) Lattice (Palo Alto, CA)
- Congle ZhangExploiting Parallel News Streams for Event Extraction (2015) Facebook (Seattle, WA)
- Andrey Kolobov (2013) Scalable Methods and Expressive Models for Planning Under Uncertainty (Co-advised with Mausam) Honorable Mention: 2014 ICAPS Dissertation Award. Microsoft Research (Redmond, WA)
- Raphael Hoffmann (2012) Interactive Learning of Relation Extractors with Weak Supervision (Co-advised with Luke Zettlemoyer). Lattice (Palo Alto, CA).
- Peng Dai (2011) Decision Making under Uncertainty: Scalability and Applications (Co-advised with Mausam). Honorable Mention: 2012 ICAPS Dissertation Award. Google (Mountain View, CA).
- Stefan Schoenmackers (2011) Inference over the Web (Co-advised with Oren Etzioni), Decide.com (Seattle, WA).
- Fei Wu (2010) Machine Reading: from Wikipedia to the Web, Google (Mountain View, CA).
- Eytan Adar (2009) Temporal Informatics of the WWW, Associate Professor, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MIT).
- Krzysztof Gajos (2008) Automatically Generating Personalized User Interfaces (Co-advised with Jacob Wobbrock). Associate Professor, Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).
- Mausam (2007) Stochastic Planning with Concurrent, Durative Actions Honorable Mention: 2008 ICAPS Dissertation Award.. Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (New Delhi, India).
- Zack Ives (2002) An Adaptive Query Execution System for Data Integration (Co-advised with Alon Halevy) Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).
- Corin Anderson (2002) A Machine Learning Approach to Web Personalization (Co-advised with Pedro Domingos) Research Staff, Google (Mountain View, CA).
- Tessa Lau (2001) Programming by Demonstration using Version Space Algebra (Co-advised with Pedro Domingos) Research Staff, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center (Yorktown Heights, NY).
- Marc Friedman (1999) Representation and Optimization for Data Integration (Co-advised with Alon Halevy) Software Engineer, Microsoft Corporation.
- Nick Kushmerick (1997) Wrapper Induction for Information ExtractionCollege Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Keith Golden (1997) Planning with Incomplete Information Research Staff, NASA Ames Research Labs.
- Anthony Barrett (1997) Hierarchical Task Network Planning with an Expressive Action LanguageResearch Staff, JPL.
- Franz Amador (1994) Self-Explanatory Simulation for an Electronic Encyclopedia Senior Software Architect, Equator Inc.
- J. Scott Penberthy (1993) Planning with Continuous Change Technical Advisor to the Chairman, IBM.
Graduated M.S. Students
- Daniel Gorrie, Argumentation Improvement Techniques for the MicroTalk Workflow (2017) Pioneer Square Labs (Seattle, WA)
- Ryan Drapeau, MicroTalk: Using Argumentation to Improve Crowdsourcing Accuracy (2016). Facebook, Inc. (Seattle, WA)
- Angli LiuCrowd Supervision for Relation Extraction (2015)
- Shih-Wen Huang Toward Automatic Bootstrapping of Online Communities Using Decision-Theoretic Techniques (2015)
- Mitchell Koch, Type-Aware Distantly Supervised Relation Extraction with Linked Arguments (2014)
- Stephen Jonany, Crowdsourcing the Creation of Expert-Annotated Named Entity Datasets (2014)
- Jiun-Hung Chen, Naive-Bayes POMDPs (2005).
- Karthik Gopalratnam, Extending Continuous-Time Bayesian Networks (2005). (Co-advised with Henry Kautz) Google, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)
- Tal Shaked, Named-Entity Extraction and Statistical Classification From the Web (2004). Google, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)
- Igor Tatarinov, Updating XML (2001). (Co-advised with Alon Halevy; subsequently received a Ph.D. with Alon Halevy) Amazon.com. (Seattle, WA)
- Steve Wolfman, The LPSAT Engine (1998). Subsequently received a Ph.D. with Richard Anderson. Instructor, University of British Columbia.
- Cody Kwok, Planning to Gather Information (1996). Subsequently received a Ph.D. with Dieter Fox. Google (Mountain View, CA).
- Dave Christianson, Graphical Plan Debugging(1996). Senior Software Engineer, Farecast, Inc.
- Ying Sun, Beyond Simple Observation: Planning to Diagnose(1992). Senior Software Engineer, Go2Net.com.
- Adam Finkelstein, Pika, the Evolution of a Simulator (1992). Subsequently received a Ph.D. with David Salesin. Associate Professor, Princeton University.
- Dorothy Neville, Analyzing Mechanisms(1991).