About Our Program
The Allen School serves over 1,000 undergraduates in our two majors, and many more through our introductory and non-major courses. Our labs and facilities offer a premier learning and gathering environment where you can work hard individually and with others interested in learning how computing technology can transform the world. The Allen School also serves as an entry point for students across the campus to explore the world of computing, with courses designed to enable all students, regardless of major, to develop computational thinking and hands-on programming skills.
CS or CE?
The Allen School offers two undergraduate majors: the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, awarded through the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (ABET accreditation), awarded through the College of Engineering. CS has broader liberal arts and general education requirements and offers more flexibility in its upper-division requirements. CE's requirements are more focused and include technical writing component. Students in both majors have some flexibility to tailor their course of study to their specific interests, and both lead to similar employment opportunities.
Whichever path you choose, if you become a student in the Allen School, you will enjoy an unparalleled educational experience and many opportunities for enrichment, including:
- A vibrant academic and social community, with a rigorous curriculum that prepares students to excel in industry and graduate programs.
- Welcoming and inclusive environment for international students, women, and other underrepresented groups.
- Small classes and the opportunity to interact intensively with the Allen School faculty, both as teaching assistants and via participation in research.
- Intensive capstone design courses, in which teams of students tackle complex hardware, software, and embedded system design and implementation projects of their own invention.
- Optional Data Science Specialization for those students majoring in CS who are interested in developing a foundation in one of the fastest-growing areas of the field.
- Robust industry connections, offering a variety of mentorship and internship opportunities.